2015 Mista Pairing - Blue Cheese Steak Crostini
These blue cheese steak crostini are the perfect little bite. Garlicky toasted bread topped with salty blue cheese, rare steak and a balsamic reduction pairs amazing with the Mista Reserve Red Blend.
- 1 loaf French baguette
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound sirloin tips, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- fresh herbs for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice baguette into 1/2 inch slices on the diagonal.
- Melt the butter in a small dish and brush each piece of bread.
- Smash 1-2 cloves of garlic and rub on the bread.
- Place bread on a baking sheet and toast for 5-7 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Pour balsamic vinegar into a small sauce pot, bring to a boil then reduce to a low simmer until vinegar has halved and thickened. It will coat the back of a spoon when done. Turn off heat and set aside.
- Place blue cheese, milk, 1 smashed clove of garlic, salt and pepper in a small sauce pot and bring to a high simmer, stirring frequently until blue cheese is melted and smooth. Turn off heat and set aside.
- Heat a greased grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Season steak tips with salt and pepper and grill 1-2 minutes per side for rare to medium-rare.
- To assemble the crostini, spread the blue cheese sauce on the toasted bread, top with a piece of steak, drizzle with the balsamic reduction and top with fresh herbs.